5.12.2016

Paragliding - P2 Graduation

Yesterday was a great day - I "officially" graduated from paragliding school following a amazing one-and-a-half hour flight out at Randolph, UT, getting my P2 ratings (novice pilot... clear to fly solo without supervision within certain operating conditions). The ceremony in the landing zone went something like this:

Jonathan (instructor): "Nice! Great job up there! Did I sign you off on everything already?"
Me: "Yeah." (Signed me off early actually to save on a processing fee)
Jonathan: "Awesome. Let me know when you're ready to get your gear."

When we moved to Logan last fall, we move in across the street from Keenan - a team pilot for Skywalk USA. I've always wanted to fly, so figured it was a sign - this is the year! I made it a new years resolution and started figuring out what to do. Keenan recommended taking lessons with Utah Paragliding. He said Jonathan (operates Utah Paragliding) and Hal, one of his instructors, are awesome pilots and really good to work with - after taking the course with them I agree 100%. Really a good school (school = a blue van that runs on vegetable oil packed with harnesses, wings, radios and helmets).

Becky and I took our first lesson at the point of the mountain flight park (south side) in January, and I went down about every couple of weeks thereafter - weather permitting. It wasn't the warmest time of year to learn, but I definitely beat the crowds and had some great, long days on the south side. Somehow got my brother-in-law to join in, too (though we haven't flown together yet - just ground school - but soon enough!).

Anyway, looking forward to getting my gear and exploring more of the flying sites here in Cache Valley! I must also note that I have the most amazing wife ever, who has approved this whole endeavor and its associated expenses = my combined birthday, father's day, Christmas, and just-because gifts for the next 5 years or so. THANKS SWEETHEART, I LOVE YOU!!!

Our first lesson - south side flight park, point of the mountain in Draper, UT - world famous training site due to it's consistent winds and forgiving terrain.
Forgiving terrain defined: Nothing to run into or trip on. We worked our way up the hill throughout the lesson - launching a little higher each time. See us about 2/3 of the way up?

Becky getting ready to forward launch with Jonathan, our instructor, talking through the flight plan.

Cleared for launch!

We have lift-off!

Becky just about to flare and land at the base. Can't wait to get this lovely wife of mine her ratings so we can go on more flying dates!

Drew hooking into the glider.

"Building the Wall" for a reverse launch.

Coming in for a landing.

We don't eat out much; but when we do, it's usually after some kind of awesome adventure date. The Cheesecake Factory was awesome! Special thanks to Katie and Tucker for watching our kiddos and letting us spend the day together!

Mysteries of themal flying revealed! Excellent ground school session with Jonathan.

Because paragliding is highly dependent on wind and weather, it's good to know how to interpret what the local meteorologists are talking about... or you may just end up "not in Kansas anymore".

Keenan giving me a site intro to mountain flying in Cache Valley - this is literally right above our houses. WOO-HOO! It was about 32 degrees at 9,200 ft (where we soared to) - should have worn pants!

During this flight we did some wing-overs and spiral-dives... It's been a while since I'd pulled Gs like that! SO RAD!


Graduation day at Randolph, UT - We flew until the sun set - absolutely gorgeous site!

Down in the valley at the landing zone (a farmer's field) the wind was maybe 5-10 mph. But launch was blowing at 25-30 mph at the top when we got there! Had to wait about an hour for the sun to get lowing so the wind would die down. We launched in about 18 mph winds, but once you're out in front, the winds are about 12 mph. Gliders have a speed range from about 15-25 mph.

Absolutely amazing site! Can't wait to go back and explore other sites as well. Special thanks to Keenan for these epic shots!

No comments: