5.27.2012

Melhena Debra Clements

It's a GIRL!!!
Melhena Debra Clements
Born: Monday, April 30, 2012, 1:37 PM at our Home, Boulder, Colorado
Birth story by Becky...

Dear Melhena, 
We are so excited to have you in our family! Your dad and I were very anxious for you to come, but tried to be patient as your "due date" (Wednesday, April 25) came and went with no real sign of you coming soon. Sunday we went to church then for our regular family Sunday walk that afternoon. The lower cramping I had been feeling for weeks began to get stronger and move toward my back and intensified when I tried to lay down, so I spent the whole night on my hands and knees, the exercise ball, and walking around the house.  By 4 AM I needed some help so I woke up your dad--my rock--who helped me to relax and stay focused.  
Although I hoped I was in labor, because I hadn't experienced any back labor or pain with Alvin, I doubted that the low pressure waves (contractions) could be doing anything to my uterus.  I felt like you were pushing against my sacrum, so I thought that you were just "dropping". We waited until 7 AM to call our AMAZING midwife, Elizabeth Moore. With my contractions varying so much in duration and intensity she suggested to go for a walk, see what happens, and check back with her at 11 AM or when something had changed. After dad went to pick up the birthing pool from Elizabeth's (who conveniently lives about 4 blocks from us) we took Alvin to the park across the street and I walked and walked while Alvin and Dad played. The contractions didn't stop and intensified more when we arrived home around 9ish. Dad gave Alvin lunch and made sure I drank and ate a little too. I still didn't believe that you would come soon so I told your dad to just put Alvin down to nap in our room (the birthing pool was set up in his room) and we'd call our friends, the Andersons, to pick him up when he woke up. By this time the contractions in my low back were getting so strong that I felt I needed your dad to get through every one. He called Elizabeth at 11 AM to check in. She asked if I wanted her to come over. Your dad and I both agreed she should as I was loosing (throwing up) everything I had attempted to eat and drink and needed her help to get through the intense back labor. It was a completely different, much more intense, labor experience than I had felt with your brother, Alvin and I needed to know if it was actually helping you be born.
Elizabeth arrived, about 11:30 AM and checked the your heart rate, it was perfect! I had to moan and breath deeply through each contraction, I know I sounded crazy but didn't care because it was helping me accept and charge through each one. I didn't use the Hypnobabies hypnosis as much during your labor, the back labor was a whole different and MUCH more intense pressure and pain which made it harder to focus. So I roared and groaned like a lioness.
By about 12:30 PM I knew I needed to get in the water. Elizabeth said I could if I was dilated at least 7 cm. I was nervous as she checked me (at about 1 PM) because if I wasn't at least to 7 cm I wasn't sure how much longer I could go.  Thankfully she announced that, not only was I dilated to 7 cm but that the water sac (still intact) was close and when the sac broke you would quickly come out! When I heard this I was so excited and knew I could keep going! Before getting in the pool I threw up again, which woke up Alvin. Your dad quickly called the Andersons who came right away to get him. 
When I got in the pool I felt so relaxed, it was awesome! The water was warm and the pool was so big I could continue to move around and change positions freely. After just a couple of contractions in the pool I felt like I needed to push. While on my knees, leaning my arms against the edge of the pool I pushed out part of your water sac, still intact! It surprised me so much I asked "what do I do?" to Elizabeth. But before she could answer I felt another, even stronger erg to push...one, there was your head (crowning!)...then two, your shoulders and body came out easily into the warm water!  Only, approximately, 25 minutes after I was checked and 7 cm dilated, you were born at 1:37 PM.
You had some bruising on your face from starting to come "sunnyside" (face first), but luckily you tucked your chin down in the end. Your umbilical cord was around your neck coming down the birth canal, which made you look very purple but you quickly began to whimper and pink up. After Elizabeth caught you you were in my arms. I felt so incredibly happy! Your dad said, "I think it's a girl!" We were so excited and surprised to have a little girl!
How wonderful it was to have you born in the peace and comfort of our home! Elizabeth took care of everything and us so well! And your dad was an amazing dula and actually became the "assistant midwife", who was unable to make it! 
I loved being able to hold you right after your birth for as long as I wanted, lay in the comfort of my own bed and eat healthy, real food. Elizabeth treated both you and I like queens, coming to check on us multiple times for weeks after your birth.  
Your dad and I, although we were extremely tired, could not stop just staring at you that night! You are so special to us! We love you Melhena and are so grateful to Heavenly Father for sending you to our family!!!

Proud daddy.                                        Proud mommy.  Loved being in my own bed!

Elizabeth, our wonderful midwife.

Tuckered out...

Day 1

Day 3




Day 4

2 comments:

Christina Clark said...

Becky, she is so beautiful and I am so happy that you have your little girl! Way to go doing it at home! We will have to talk, but until then, many congratulations! :)

Lydia said...

Beautiful story and baby :)